fitting clay fireback and cast iron instert - more questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive now fitted the fireback in place and backfilled with vermiculite mix - see picture

* ive read you need to put a slope on this to stop soot sitting on it - do you use vermiculite for this as well?

* how do you incorporate this sloping with the remaining existing brickwork at the back of the opening? or would you take this out?

*the cast iron insert needs to be positioned an inch proud of the wall, what should i use to fix and pack this in with??

thanks again
Matt

Sponsored Links
Use a throat lintel....
throat_forming_lintel.jpg

Is that a shallow throat lintel ...or a :?: . Can you tell, Noseall ;) I`m just doing mine @ home too- and I`m using a lime and cement/sand mix- to let it "give" a bit . Parge it over the vermiculite and shape it roughly with a trowel ;) put some bits of brick rubble in to form a slope - don`t worry about those bricks protruding @ the sides . Not so sure about how to space iron fireplace away from wall - maybe l-o-ng screws through a bit of metal tube . . I`m going to stick some heatproof rope -from a plumbers shop , with some heatproof silicone round the final area between the iron and the flue. then some of the lime /cement compo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back