Fitting consumer unit vertically

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a tall narrow built in wooden cupboard in the hallway containing my old bakelite fuses. Will be replacing soon when my extension nears completion as that will need power!

New consumer units all tend to be mounted horizontally. This simply won't fit. Is there any reason I can't mount one vertically?

Sponsored Links
New consumer units all tend to be mounted horizontally. This simply won't fit. Is there any reason I can't mount one vertically?
I suppose you ought to ascertain what the manufacturer has to say about that, but I see no real reason why not - the only 'active' components (which might conceivably be fussed about orientation) are the MCBs/RCBOs and, when fitted to a 3-phase board, they are often/usually 'horizontal' (as opposed to the 'vertical' in the usual single-phase CU orientation), anyway.

The only issue I can think of in these days of fussing about the 'fire resistance' of CUs, there might be a perceived problem due to the fact that the front cover would not be 'self-closing' (by gravity) with what you propose.

I'll be interested to hear what others say.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, but that was written long before this wretched business about 'non-combustible' CUs (with self-closing 'non-combustible' front panels) appeared on the scene. As I said, that issue would, these days, be my only uncertainty.

If you ignore that one issue then, as I said, I can see no rational reason why orientation should matter.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I see no problem with it, again, save for the lid issue.

If you went with something like a Hager Design 30 they have a latch for the lid so will stop it swinging open (I'm sure others do too)

I think the only "issue" is that for the main isolator, operation should be vertical - not for operational purposes, but for clear operation to the user.

I think the only "issue" is that for the main isolator, operation should be vertical - not for operational purposes, but for clear operation to the user.
It is undoubtedly preferable/desirable that the main switch should be vertical, but I do not recall having seen any regulation which requires this.

If one were particularly concerned about this, I suppose one could install a separate (vertical) standalone isolator immediately above or below the CU.

Kind Regards, John

I'm not sure that is an issue. Most folk in the UK expect switches to be on when they are in the DOWN position, but most seem to be able to cope with the reverse when confronted by enabled MCBs being in the other orientation when they open the door to their consumer unit.

In fact, a quick look at a bunch of main switches and other devices reveal that most all are marked on and off. A few MCBs are marked 1 and 0.
I expect there's a regulation about that...

It is, to you and me. But maybe not always to joe public.
I've said, a number of times, that there are some people who shouldn't do anything to electrical installations except work the switches.

Considering that | and O have been an international standard for on and off, and have been used on billions of switches and consumer electronic items, for over 40 years, maybe some people shouldn't even do that.

I've said, a number of times, that there are some people who shouldn't do anything to electrical installations except work the switches. ....
Be that as it may, the point raised relates to an issue (consumers being able to easily isolate the entire electrical installation in the event of an 'emergency') which householders need to be able to do as easily as possible - so, given the vast spectrum of degrees of knowledge about 'matters electrical' within the general population, doing that should be made as simple and straightforward as possible - particular given that the need to isolate could arise when the householder was in a state of panic, and maybe also in the dark and smoke.

Having said that, I personally agree with TTC that it probably is not a major issue, and that most of the general public could 'cope' with a 'sideways' main switch, just as (as TTC has said) they cope with Main Switches, RCDs, MCBs and RCBOs which function 'upside down' in comparison with what they usually expect.

Kind Regards, John

If one were particularly concerned about this, I suppose one could install a separate (vertical) standalone isolator immediately above or below the CU.

Kind Regards, John

Now, if someone were to produce a 100a DP din rail mounting connector block designed to replace the isolator in the CU and link the tails to the busbar and neutral block, that might be a nice solution. I guess each manufacturer would have to do their own and type test it in their own CU - demand would probably not be great enough for them to do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back