fitting downlights but confused ( no earth cable )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am fitting downlights in bathroom and am using existing wiring from existing ceiling light.

thing that is confusing me is there doesnt seem to be earth cable, just blue and brown, live and neutral i take it !!!!!
is this ok to continue

if yes then next step was gonna be connect into junction box then to transformers-lights. but is this safe with no sign of an earth.

think the wiring is old, not sure though

cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
Is the outer sheath of the cable flat & grey? If so then the cable is not old as brown & blue are the new colours for t & e cable, so someone has cut off the earth core, which if you strip back more outer sheath you should locate. If it is a round flexi cable then it is probably 2-core cable & it is a botch up job that you should have looked at by a spark, especially being in a bathroom.

I've just tried to look at those photo's. The first one is badly out of focus but it does show what appears to be a green (possibly green/yellow) wire connected to an earth terminal. The yellow wire is a bit of a puzzle though. It's an odd choice for neutral. The second photo is so dark I can't make anything out at all on my PC.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I do not mean to insult you, but your electrical knowledge seems to be far too inadequate to do what you would like to do. As well as connecting things electrically so that they work, there are regulations that you must abide by in order for the instalation to be safe, plus work in bathrooms falls under part p of the building regulations. I repeat that I would suggest you call in someone that is competant to do the work or leave it as it is.

The earth must be used through all of the mains wiring, even if the fittings themselves do not need it.
Its connected to earth and is actually called a circuit protective conductor because thats what it does.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back