Fitting french doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im wanting to replace the single rear door in my property with double french patio doors.

My question is who should i use? Is it best to get a builder because of all the work that will need doing, i.e making an opening and fitting a lintle prior to fitting the doors, or would a double glazing company do it??

Also do i need a builing engineer to look and work out the size of lintle required?

All my other windows are upvc so i will use upvc doors, any advice would be welcome

Also what would you expect to pay for a job like this? (just a ball park)

Sponsored Links
I will get a few quotes, just wanted a bit of advice, I havent moved in yet so i cant really get quotes, but need to leave enough money out of the mortgage to do all the jobs i want to do.

I'll be getting a builder in to knock the chimney breast out for a 6 burner cooker. so ill ask him at the same time.

Any constructive help and advice would be appreciated, ive never used tradesmen before, i renovated my previous house single handedly new kitchen, bathroom, landscaping etc, however i really dont know where to start with building work that will affect the structure of the house. and know my limitations, so know its time to call the pro's, but who??

Sponsored Links
Don’t know how long ago you did your last renovation but legislation has tightened up considerable on most things since 2000; electrical work in kitchens & bathrooms particulary. What you’re proposing sounds like it will almost certainly come under Building Regulations; if so, you will have to involve Local Authority Building Control (LABC) on the chimney breast removal, the lintel/opening for the new door &, unless the installer is FENSA registered, both for the door & its installation.

Some who call themselves builders will not always tell you this (some probably don’t even know) as it makes life difficult for them but the onus to comply with the regulations is on the householder not the builder. Not having the right bits of paper will increasingly cause re-sale problems in the future so I advise that you do your homework & at least talk to your LABC to find out what you will need to do before embarking on any work. Armed with this knowledge, you can then talk to some (proper) builders & get some quotes in for exactly what you want; get individual prices with breakdown for each element. Any competent builder will not have any problems with this or providing the required information to LABC for approval.

Yes, get a proper general builder with a good reputation who is also fensa registered.

Fitting doors is a carpenter's job but you want an aperture created in brickwork with the proper lintels installed above, which is a bricklayer's job.

If you were unlucky enough to hire the wrong 'window installer' you might just end up with a nasty sawn line down the edge of the brickwork (if your bricks are not solid you might see the frogs or the holes) and perhaps no lintel above.....(is this door being fitted into a single skin brick wall or a cavity wall?)

This is why i suggest a proper jobbing builder who is fensa registered and not just a fly by night gutter and fascia installer cus you want a fensa ticket for this...

mind if i ask...would the same apply if you were changing a window into a french door, keeping the same dimensions (well, same width, just dropping the windowsill about a metre really! :) )

would the lintel in place above the window be sufficient or would this require the whole thing to be re-done?

Safe,

This is why fensa has come about.

Believe it or not, your current window might not even have a lintel above.

This happens a lot in cavity walls where the inner skin has a lintel of some sort but the outer skin is just bricks built on the window or door frame.

So a builder is the person to ask for installation of french doors/or at least making the opening and fitting the lintel. as well as the lintle for the fireplace.

Is FENSA registration common place i.e will most building companies indivisuals be registered or will i have to search high and low? Also what does FEnsa registration mean they can do that other builders can't?

I would still appreciate a approx cost for this as i still have no idea how much this part of the redevelopment would cost (I know it says dont ask for ball park quotes on here and go get your own quote, which i will do when im in, but it will be too late to take more money from the mortgage by then!!)

FENSA is only associated with DG window/door installations & registration, although not mandatory, almost ranks as a must have for DG installers. The builder himself will probably not be FENSA registered & if he isn’t he must either use a FENSA company or involve Building Control in order to get a certificate of compliance that you need. A good builder will (or should) act as supervisor/PM for the whole job &, if he’s any good, he should be able to employ or at least introduce you to all of the necessary trades you need that he trusts.

As far as cost goes; you’re probably looking at around £1000 for good quality, 1.8m wide French doors + around another £150 - £200 to open up the window into a door(very dusty), close the exposed cavity & fit the door; any plastering on the reveal will probably be extra. It rather depends on the age of the house & what’s already there but as long as your not altering the width, the existing lintel (if there is one) will probably be OK. If you need to put a new one in, the builder will do this rather than the DG company but the cost will rise around £200 or so + you will need to get it inspected (before the door is fitted) by you local Council Building Control & they will charge for this.

Thanks Richard,

Id budgeted about £1500 so i should be around the right level with a bit of luck.

Andy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back