Fitting Hardiebacker round shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a new en-suite built in the loft - today the builders have put up the hardiebacker board round the tray but there are gaps of up to 15mm between the board and the tray - far too much to even tile and bridge as far as I can see.

To my mind the hardiebacker should be tight against the tray and then the titles and adhesive overlap the top edge of the tray - is that right?

Sponsored Links
Any reason why the tray was put in first? was it a space issue, as putting the board behind the tray would be the logical thing to do.

Not necessarily. The main thing to consider is the minimum /maximum compensation of your shower door/screen.

Having 15mm gaps is no good at all, I siggest that it needs to be re done.

This is part of the reason I feel that highly porous tilebacker boards like Hardibacker and Aquapanel alone, simply aren't suitable for shower areas. The area (at the low level at least) should be tanked.

It depends on the kind of tray,if it has upstands then the backers/pstr brd should sit on these and tiles in front.

Its not a hard fix in either case,they just need to remove the boards on one side and and add some extra battoning then reboard as required.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't have upstands but a fairly wide border.

Problem sort of resolved itself as we found tray that was supposed to be cemented in (manufacturers instructions) was not actually bonded to anything - so the tray can be pushed right back, and then only one side needs padding out.

Tray to be reset today on stronger mix. I'm assuming it;s the cement that bionds / holds it in place and prevents future movement?

If all is well boards will be flush against the tray, and then tiles over the top edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back