Fitting ignition switch to mk4 astra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed the ignition switch without removing the key barrel. I edged it off with a screwdriver and have broken off a very small copper object shaped like a 'vee'. Cannot see where it was on the switch.
If I bought a new ignition switch would I have to remove the key barrel in order to fit the switch.
Would like to know how it all goes together and works. Why does the switch make an alarm noise when I push it's plastic spindle in? Is it safe to drive (to a garage, for instance), if I link the ignition wire to + supply wire and start up by shorting starter to + momentarily? Could anyone help with advice or recommend a site where I could see a drawing of this ign. switch? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Your local library probably has a Haynes manual for the Astra, you might find info there on how to change the switch.

older corsa there is a few bits to the ignition not sure what you have broken
you have the barrel in the lock to remove this the key need to be in and a small screw driver in a slot by the key. the end of this opperates ==
there is a multi pin plug on the rear that you can that will pull off the barrel and start it but the biggest thing to move the car is the steering lock
what age corsa or a pic of the lock/column

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. The car is a mk4 Astra (1998-2004). Spent a few hours playing about with it today, but still the same as it was. :mrgreen:
That noise mentioned [in the ign. switch] is a tamper alarm, I found.
I removed key barrel easily enough and refitted ignition switch then replaced the key barrel but it's u/s.
I cannot see how the ignition switch can work as there is no movable contact at all. Makes no sense. Anyone know where there is a drawing of
the ign. switch,Please. Help! :confused:

I don't have a first hand experience on this particular car, but surely the question I need to ask you is firstly what prompted you to seperate the ignition switch from its barrel, the two must be somehow coupled togther so that when you turn your keyswitch, it will turn the bottom switch element to which all wires are connected. So by giving us some clue as to what prompted you take it apart, we can then point you in the correct direction, other than that, join a vauxhall owners club such as www.migweb.co.uk, wher you could get all answers from experts there. Don't forget on the ignition barrel, there is a bezzel or a plastic surround, that has a sensing coil that senses your transponder chip in the key, this is your electronic chip that the coil reads and only then will it enable the ECU. The key must have this transponder chip in it, and is dedicated to each car, its a strong deterrent against theft.

Back