Fitting kitchen cabinets in front of waste pipes ~10cm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to building regs I've installed 50mm waste pipe in the kitchen and because of other factors the kitchen cabinets need to be moved away from the wall by 10cm to accommodate all the stuff behind.

So, I plan to fix a frame of some sort or battens to fix the cabinets to, but would like advice on the best way to do this, should I just attach two 10cm thick pieces of timber horizontally, one at the top of the cabinet and one further down?

I will get granite worktops fitted too, could I place the top piece of timber in line with the cabinet top to support the back of the granite?

Finally what size of fixings should I use to fix the timber to the wall, assuming 10cm thick timber?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Better to chase wall so pipe does not affect cup'd or drop to below 150mm where it will not interfere either.
If you must then a flush timber to top rear and attach cabinets , no further fix is required.
Also note it's quite usual to reduce the depth of cup'd to accomodate obstructions, is less hassle than moving everything.

Better to chase wall so pipe does not affect cup'd or drop to below 150mm where it will not interfere either.
If you must then a flush timber to top rear and attach cabinets , no further fix is required.
Also note it's quite usual to reduce the depth of cup'd to accomodate obstructions, is less hassle than moving everything.

Thanks for the reply foxhole, I've got legacy pipework (gas and water, both not chased in) that is way too much hassle to move, it's just where the missus insists the washing machine goes, so the WM sets the distance from the wall. :rolleyes:

No need for 10cm thick battens (unless that's what you want) You could fix angle brackets to wall then a length of 10cm boarding fixed to them. The units will carry the weight of the worktops, with the 10cm overhang being lightly supported by the 10cm boarding

Sponsored Links
No need for 10cm thick battens (unless that's what you want) You could fix angle brackets to wall then a length of 10cm boarding fixed to them. The units will carry the weight of the worktops, with the 10cm overhang being lightly supported by the 10cm boarding

ah yes, I see, thanks, I might just go with that option as I won't need such heavy duty fixings.

FWIW fixing a batten along the wall to support the worktop was fairly standard practice when standing units a distance off the wall. We used to do this to accommodate 650mm deep worktops so washing machines etc fitted under without difficulty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back