Fitting Kitchen units to partition wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I'm hoping someone can lend me the benefit of their experience! I've been out and bought 3 new kitchen wall units (from Symphony Kitchens) at great cost. I will be fitting some to a partition / stud wall.

I'm normally quite confident with this stuff, but kitchen cupboards tend to end up holding heavy items!

I have a 400 mm unit, corner unit and a 800mm unit

One unit (400mm) will be on an exterior wall and doesn't worry me, the larger 800mm unit will be on the stud wall, and suspended between them is a corner unit, which has to be screwed to the other units, with no wall fixings (awesome design feature!)

So, my question is, if there's no stud where I have to mount the wall unit, are there any fixings that will give enough support to hang directly to the plaster board? I was doubtful but struggling to think of options :S

I'd wondered about getting some plywood sheet secured to the studwork behind the unit to give some support but I don't have much room for getting it in (I used all the space I could!)

Any suggestions will be most welcome!

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert, but what about cutting out a bit of plasterboard and fitting ply in it's place, then you can fix and it'll be secure without wasting space.

thanks for the suggestion, I'm hoping I don't have take such drastic (and messy) measures, but that could potentially work, thanks ;)

Found a cabinet hanging rail on the internet, which replaces the normal hanging bracket, so i can find all the studs along the wall for extra support.

God bless google! ;)[/b]

Sponsored Links
Glad you found the hanging rail off the internet. You have to cut it to the length you require and some of the cabinets in the row will need a little bit taken out of the sides (at the back) to allow the units to sit flush to the wall. The ends, which will be seen have no cut outs to accommodate the rail. (hope that makes sense to you) ;) ;)

Thanks - that makes perfect sense ;)

Can you think of anything a bit more elegant than hammer and chisel to make the grooves on the back of the cabinets? I know it's not visible but I'd rather not have a gory mess on the back - cos I'll still know it's there! ;0)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back