Fitting Loop Overflow Trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When i first turn my Halsted Finest Platinum Combi boiler on its fine and the pressure is at 1 it then roose to 3 and started to leak water through the overflow so i have now turned it off and turned the water feed off.

I have read it can be related to the filling loop. any ideas if this is the problem in my case if so where do i find it and what do i do when i have found it?

Very gratefull for any response

Sponsored Links
I found the filling loop and its connected at both ends? Should it be as it has a sticker on it saying disconnect after charging?

I found the filling loop and its connected at both ends? Should it be as it has a sticker on it saying disconnect after charging?

if the filling loop was not connected then its nothing to do with this, your system has overpressurised (if the pressure remains on 1bar whilst not in use) due a fault with the expansion vessel (usually a big red thing).

just re-read the post and realised that the filling loop was\is connected so it may have been letting by water which will lead to the boiler overpressurising, but it will do this even when the boiler is turned off. so if its not overpressurising when off and only when the boiler is a light then its the expansion vessel.

Sponsored Links
Charge up to 1.2 bar when cold, dissconnect filling loop then check the pressure, if it rises and spurts out of the PRV then check expansion vessel pressure (see wiki)

The filling loop is connected, do i remove both ends or just the one? and if it doesnt spirt have i fixed it?

Im new to this first time ive actually looked at a boiler apart from to change the temp

bster said:
if the filling loop was not connected then its nothing to do with this, your system has overpressurised (if the pressure remains on 1bar whilst not in use) due a fault with the expansion vessel (usually a big red thing).

just re-read the post and realised that the filling loop was\is connected so it may have been letting by water which will lead to the boiler overpressurising, but it will do this even when the boiler is turned off. so if its not overpressurising when off and only when the boiler is a light then its the expansion vessel.

ok the filling cable is connected and the water still leaks when the boiler is off. Next to the central heating flow there is a switch/tap which you can move this is what i have to change to stop the water leaking out through the over flow, im not sure which way its supposed to be pointing as i dont want to damage the boiler. (It could have been moved the the wrong position and this is why the problem is occuring i dont know its been a while since the problems started)

which way is it supposed to face?

Also the pressure is at 3 is that ok?

i can e-mail a picture if it helps

kevplumb said:
take the filling loop OFF disconnect it remove it either end it does not matter :rolleyes:

Thanks i will try this when i get home sorry if i sounded a bit stupid its just i dont know a thing about boilers so was a bit nervouse to do something i wanst sure of.

eurovox said:
Next to the central heating flow there is a switch/tap which you can move this is what i have to change to stop the water leaking out through the over flow, im not sure which way its supposed to be pointing as i dont want to damage the boiler. (It could have been moved the the wrong position and this is why the problem is occuring i dont know its been a while since the problems started)

which way is it supposed to face?

The general rule for a quarter turn valve (ball valve, plug cock etc) is if the handle lines up with the pipe it is on, if it lays across the pipe, it is off.

The valve should normally be off, and the loop disconnected unless you are filling the system.

If it is left connected it can pressurise the system to the mains water pressure, which is usually much higher than the pressure the system is designed for.

If you read the FAQ, Filling, and Boiler Pressure Problems, you'll be able to work it all out ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back