fitting new heating element in towel radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I have recently replaced a heating element in my towel radiator and it lasted approx 2 months (!) before it started tripping out the RCD circuit that it was connected to. Can't believe I am going to have to fit another element so soon!

Pretty new to DIY, but fitted this towel radiator circa 2 years ago, so I am not a compete novice. Wondered whether anyone had any tips on best ways to clean out/inhibit the CH system to prevent the new element failing so quickly next time.

Water drains clean from the drain valve downstairs but there was still gunk in the towel radiator when I took it off the wall to fit the heating element that has just broken.

(The CH is a sealed system with plastic pipes and the element is fitted to the bottom of the towel radiator if that helps.)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
it may seem obvious but are you opening the bleed valves when draining?

plumbline have a deal on fernox aerosol inhibitors/cleansers any 2 for £25

add the cleanser and allow to work for a couple of days/week.

fill and hot/cold flush and add inhibitor.

it also may be worth investing in a magnaclean.

Magnacleans are great if you have black sediment or black water.

A sealed system does not corrode as quickly as an open-vented one.

I am not a plumber but some plastic pipes are not "barrier" type and allow air to diffuse in. Are there any markings on yours?

Yes, did open bleed valves when draining.

I haven't ever cleaned out a system before - is it as simple as adding cleaning agent, waiting for appropriate length of time and then draining system?

As for flushing the system, is this just filling and emptying it? or am i missing something more technical? And I presume inhibitor is added on the final top up of the system, before pressure is attained.

As an aside, one problem the CH system does have is the plastic pipes, which are 10mm. I suspect they get clogged up easily, so I may have to start a regular cleaning/inhibiting process.

Sponsored Links
I mostly use Sentinel X400 for desludging, it is very mild and just loosens the sediment so that it is suspended in the moving water and you can drain and rinse it out after 4 weeks. It is helpful to turn off all the radiators except one at a time so you get maximum flow to help wash it round.

Once you have cleaned the system well, add X100 inhibitor which will prevent future corrosion. As you have a sealed system it will not get very dirty unless you have a leak or drain it and forget to add more inhibitor. If you are in a hard water area you can add X200 which reduces lime scale in the boiler.

If you fit a Magnaclean as well, it will cost you about £100 and you will finish it in a couple of hours even if you area slow amateur plumber like me. it goes on a vertical 22mm return. It is worthwhile if you have black iron oxide sludge which is trapped by the powerful magnet.
View media item 12015
View media item 12016
Old open systems usually have a lot but if you have a newish sealed system you may not have this problem. Next time you take your rad off tilt it and see what runs out.

You can also get more aggressive chemical cleaners which are much faster but I am wary of them
View media item 390
View media item 391

If you fit a Magnaclean as well, it will cost you about £100 and you will finish it in a couple of hours even if you area slow amateur plumber like me. it goes on a vertical 22mm return. It is worthwhile if you have black iron oxide sludge which is trapped by the powerful magnet.

The Magnaclean can go on ANY orientation of pipework !

I did not see the boss at the show this week. It seems he leaves all the work to his employees now. I always thought the larger blond was his wife but perhaps not.

Tony

The Magnaclean can go on ANY orientation of pipework !

I did not see the boss at the show this week. It seems he leaves all the work to his employees now. I always thought the larger blond was his wife but perhaps not.

Tony

err, libelous i think

well, you want to fit it so the canister is as near vertical as you can get

when I fitted one on existing pipework, without changing or bending it, it was reasonably easy on a vertical pipe. I thought it would have been more difficult to get the canister vertical on existing horizontal pipes without moving one up and one down, even though the connectors are slightly offset.

true or not?

Magnacleans are better vertical in as much as you don't get spillage when cleaning, and it looks better but it will work in any orientation.

Perhaps I did not state myself clearly enough!

The Magnaclean can be fitted to Horizontal pipe runs ( either offset or with an added dog leg ) but keeping the canister vertical enables it to be used as a dosing vessel.

Its not essential to use it as a dosing vessel though.

Even if its fitted in a straight horizontal pipe run the canister will only be at about 45° and will still function well as a dosing vessel albeit with reduced capacity.

If you fit it in a straight vertical pipe run the canister will still be offset from the vertical !

In essence it makes little difference if its in a vertical or horizontal pipe.

If I was designing the unit I would ignore the added cost and make the two connections vertically above each other. I am not interested so much in the profit as the best design. Thats why I am not wealthy!

Tony

Spam! I only eat 100% pure meat.
You wartime babies have your say though us youngsters need to get back to work. :p

I'm not advertising! All my posts have links relevent to the topic of which i am more than capable of offering help and advice with. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back