fitting of an elec` shower help!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
fitting a 9.8 kw mira sport shower. had house rewired couple of years ago. circuit put in for shower 40 amp mcb 10mm2 cable to double pole switch, at the time no shower fitted. now fitting shower, instructions say it requiers 45 amp mcb. can i get a 45 mcb, can i fit myself also can i wire from the pole switch to the shower myself and do i need to get this certified. any suggestions thanks[/list]

Sponsored Links
1) There might be a 45 amp mcb for your CU. It rather depends upon the make but ---

2) Your cable is good for 50 amps anyway. This size will be easier to find. :) :) :)

3) Fitting a new mcb involves opening up the CU. This is not a job for the faint-hearted. :!: :!: :!:

4) A shower should be RCD protected. Is the existing 40 amp mcb on an RCD? :?: :?: :?: If not, can you put the new, bigger one on an RCD. :?: :?: :?: Failing that, look for an RCBO instead. :cool: :cool: :cool:

5) Have you thought about getting a lower wattage shower?

Sponsored Links
Also its notifiable work as bathrooms are classed as special location, so you need building regs approval or better still get a registered sparks to fit it for you.

thanks for the advice. now contacted the electrician who re-wired house and he is going to come and sort out, and do all the relevant checks and certification

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back