Fitting RSJ in load bearing wall !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted an 8"x4" by 2.5 RSJ going between kitchen and back living room. I have a 60mm gap from top of beam to bottom of joists. How can I pack this out ?? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Length of 60mm wood ? Why not jack the beam up onto the underside of the joists and pack up the end points with suitable footing

I have a stone post at one end stopping me from going right up to the joist. Would a piece of timber comply with regulations would you know ?

I have a stone post at one end stopping me from going right up to the joist. Would a piece of timber comply with regulations would you know ?
Couldn't you cut a bit of the stone post away so that you can get the beam up to the joists.

I've never come across it in this situation, so not sure what building control's reaction would be, but there is not reason structurally why you shouldn't use a length of 100x63 joist above the beam.
If the existing joists are not overstressed in bearing, then the additional timber won't be either. It's obviously internal so no issue with water ingress either.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back