Fitting Semi-Recessed Sink onto Slimline Vanity Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting a space saving semi-recessed sink into a narrow vanity unit and needing some advice. Have cut the front panel neatly and about to cut the worktop but just realised that the back of the sink will almost come to the back of the unit. This gives me two problems:

a) the cut leaves a very thin sliver of worktop for the width of the sink with full depth overhangs either side - is this viable? Does it support the sink?
b) There is a silly small uneven gap between the sink and the tiled wall behind - too big to silicone elegantly too small to clean easily so crud will collect.

There must be lots of these already fitted, how best to deal with it?
Sink is like this, but only a 600mm unit no side units (550mm sink).
Can't see what happens at the wall or how the sink is held.

First idea was to fit the sink slightly forward against the overhang of the worktop leaving a just about cleanable 1cm gap of worktop visible at the back of the sink - 210mm laminate, 200mm flat bit of sink. However this means that the curved part of the basin does not fit snugly against the front of the 200mm unit. That looks odd when sitting near it.

Next idea to fix above was to pad the unit out from the wall, but that is a bit naff as well.

Is the solution to take the sink back to the tiles? The back edge is cast wobbly in a bit of a concave curve so won't fit flush so it is not made to do that, and how do I deal with the worktop either side of the basin - 8cm one side, 5cm the other overhang the ends of unit?

Finally I had thought that the unit would support the sink, clearly it won't. I need to bracket it to the wall and then put the unit and worktop as "decoration".

Advice with this layout greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Try Joiners Forum ;)
Ah, so this is a carpentry problem not a plumbing one?
Don't want to cross post, any way to move forums?
But it must be a carpentry problem that plumbers have seen the solution for surely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back