Fitting upvc window to internal wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hoping I can get some advice here.

My family and I are currently staying in rented accommodation, it's a very informal agreement based on personal relationships. Anyway, point is we are pretty free to do whatever we want to the place as long as we don't wreck it. Get a good deal on rent and landlord has little involvement. Works for us all as we're in the process of looking for somewhere to buy. In the short term there's a skylight in the hallway which desperately needs replacing. I want to do this as cheap as possible as we don't own the place. My thought at the moment is to buy a upvc window to attach to the internal wall around the skylight. So skylight is approx 475mm x 975mm. I was thinking to get a 500mm x 1000mm window and attach it to the wall/roof. My question is, first of all is this a terrible idea, and second of all what would be the best way to attach it for a decent seal?

Any advice welcome.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Here's a pic looking up from the stairs. It's never going to be used as an open window which is why I was leaning toward a simple frame. Attaching it to the internal wall surrounding the window.

what is actually wrong with the velux? Leaking etc?

Pvc windows need to be fitted vertically. They just arnt designed to be fitted that way and would likely leak through the beads and drainage holes.

If the frame is sound you could possibly get a replacement sash from velux and reuse the glass too. Open it up and look for a code number then email velux to see if they could sell you one.

Sponsored Links
If its just something to keep the heat in the a Pvc window would be fine. Take sizes and get a made to measure window from a local window company.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, main purpose is just to keep the heat in more effectively than a rotten window and some poor quality secondary glazing!

After pricing up a window what I'm going to do is make a frame myself, bed a sheet of perspex or polycarbonate in it and attach it to the surround. Cheapest and simplest solution.

Fair enough. You may want to use Opal poly. It lets most of the light in but you wont have to look at the old manky window :)

Why not fill it in, insulate and match existing finishes i.e. boards and roof tiles?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back