Fitting wooden blinds in window recess

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit some wooden blinds into a window recess. For some reason the blinds have been supplied with wood screws but I need to screw the brackets into the lintel (which I assume is brick/concrete). Can anyone help me with regards to choosing the correct raw plugs and screws for this? Are there universal plugs I can buy which will work no matter what the material is? How long should they be and what are the best screws? Not done this before so any advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
The lintel may be steel. Probe with a magnet or compass-needle.

So I think the lintel is concrete. Used my cordless drill on hammer mode with a multi-purpose drill bit and really struggled. Did manage to get through after A LOT of effort. Guessing you really need a proper SDS/hammer drill for this kind of job?

Sponsored Links
Did you see any shiny metallic particles in the dust? If so, then it sounds like you may have a steel lintel inside the plaster.
Try drilling with a HSS drill bit, (the ordinary type you use for drilling mild steel.
This type of bit.

Don't use the hammer mode. If it is a steel lintel these drills will go through the plaster, then start to bore into the steel. Evidence is small shiny bits of metal falling down with the dust. You will need to use suitable 'self-tapping' screws to screw into the steel lintel.
If you have to use hammer mode to get through, then it could be a concrete lintel with steel rebars inside. If it is concrete then you will need suitable rawplugs and standard screws.
Oh, and drill using a masonry bit, not a multi-purpose drill bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back