Fix radiator pipes to wall or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks :D
I`ve just knocked a stood wall down in my living room & it had a radiator fitted. I`ve got 2 sets of pipes running down the wall what was either side of the removed wall. I`ve got a 5 inch strip that needs a plasterboard patch fitted that the 4 pipes will run behind. I`ve tried to knock a nail in the bricks but it`s the honeycombed brick that the nail won`t bite into & grip.
What I`d like to know is do I need to attach the pipes to the wall solidly or can I just "wedge" them behind the plasterboard patch?

Any help much appreciated! :D

Lee

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that link although I dont think it`ll have enough gap as it`s only 20mm. The fixing to the wall is the problem not the clips!
Will the pipes vibrate or something behind the wall?

You should clip the pipes to do it properly.

Up to you whether you wish to leave them unclipped, but they may rub against each other when they expand. :(

Sponsored Links
Cover them in duct tape and use the nail type pipe fixings, like a giant electric flex clip, can't think of their proper name, and nail into the mortar joint between the blocks.

Good tip, thanks!
I`ve improvised & changed the nails in the clips I had for chipboard screws & they work a treat! It was a bit tricky getting them through the pipe but once it was through the first wall the other side of the pipe was easy. I hope once I`ve put the water back on the slight drip I have past the screws will seal itself

Only jesting! The pipes are touching the wall in places so I was wondering if putting a bit of old bike innner tube between the pipe & wall to prevent chafing of the pipe?

Cheers

Lee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back