Fixing a bad flowing Doulton Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I think this tap is a reverse pressure one and it has a very low flow. This is the advice from an article on this site..

Removing the body

* Undo the nut above the body of the tap.
* Once this is done the body can be removed by undoing the tap as if you were turning the tap on.
* Don't be alarmed by the water that runs, keep unscrewing the body until it comes off.
* When the body is removed the internal check valve will operate to stop the water.

Replacing the washer

* By banging the nozzle of the body empty out the inner workings of the tap.
* Bang the nozzle of the body to loosen the inside.
* Once the inside is loose it can be emptied out to reveal the washer.
* Prise the washer off with a screwdriver and replace.

Finally

* Reassemble the tap in reverse order.

I can get the central barrel out (I pressume thats what called the body above), but am a bit confused by the rest of the instructions. What comes out is a reverse threaded thing with an o ring on it - is this the thing that needs 'banging' to dismantle. It doesnt appear big enough for a washer or anything (But I'll look again tonight)

There dosnt appear to be anything else to dismantle on the tap itself - this is what it looks like (sorry about source of piccy!)

Tap

Any advice?

James

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
When the body is removed........internal check valve :confused: :confused: SUPATAP from the 50`s/60`s :LOL: Only ones I`ve ever come across with a check valve :confused:

Nige F said:
When the body is removed........internal check valve :confused: :confused: SUPATAP from the 50`s/60`s :LOL: Only ones I`ve ever come across with a check valve :confused:
Supatap thats a blast from the past must be older than a look can remember rewashering them in the late 70s when a worked with the cooncil .If a remember right you could rewasher without turning water off. :D

Sponsored Links
Similar principle in use with the Belmont - the loveliest of all the lovely rad valves.
love-smiley-009.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back