fixing balustrades through a single ply membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me find a method/system to fix balustrades through a single ply membrane on a flat roof forming a roof terrace from our kitchen/diner that does not compromise the water-proofing.

The roof has no parapets, a box gutter to the front edge and 3.6m of bifold doors immediately below the front steel. We could fix balustrades to the side walls but still need to secure 5m across the front.

Sponsored Links
This type of ballustrading construction comes with fairly strict guidelines regards spacing and hand rail heights. Also roof roof terraces require planning consent and are subject to building control approval.

So, this leads me to ask, how come this detail has not been designed for you by an architect/designer/techie or are you just doing a diy balcony?

Most terraces are framed with some kind of metal type 'fence' that is fixed to brackets welded to steel supports etc.

Aye, I am loathe to advise of a solution as am inclined to agree with noseall, without the correct structural design for a handrail it may well be unsafe. Frankly the waterproofing bit is the easy bit.

Sponsored Links
Ideally you need fabricated brackets that are fixed to the face of the wall and not through the roof. These will come up and over the roof horizontally if necessary

If you fix down and through the roof then you can find than slight movement in the balustrade rocks the fixing and can open a slight gap for water to get into

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back