Fixing Baths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me the correct way to secure a Bath to the wall. I have been told to cut a section out of the wall for the rim to sit it, but the room has just been replastered, so don't really want to do that if poss. I always assumed the were some kind of fixing. Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
theres usually 2 L shaped brackets that come with a bath, srew 2 the wall & then underneath the bath on to the wooden frame, if not any diy store will sell them
:cool:

thanks Frenchie, but this is what i dont get. If brackets are fixed to the wall, then you move bath against wall, how do you fix brackets to bath as you cant get to them

Fix the brackets to the bath first, with the L part coming above the rim.
Then chip out small amount of plaster to secure above rim level to pull tight to wall. Cover with plaster and tiles.

Sponsored Links
If it`s a tin bath you just need to spread silicone all around the edges that will come into contact with wall, they have no fittings. As for your normal acrylic baths, read the instructions... it will tell you exactly where to place the brackets, how far in etc, make sure when screwing brackets for your bath from underneath you don`t burst through the underside of your bath...... :eek: :eek:

it is a tin bath, with adjustable legs but even with this perfectly level it still feels very wobbly, i really would have thought it needs fixing, but you reckon definately not?

Stick it to the wall with sanitary sealer and leave to go off before wobbling it, tin baths are crap, no fixings and never have had any.

Use the sealers as above, but prepare first a clamp or three for where you CAN reach.

Drill and plug wall under the bath, an inch or so below the bottom of the turned-down edge. Take something like a 7" long piece of 2" x 1" wood, put its top end up under the topside of the bath, and the bottom end against the wall. Make a hole in it level with the hole in the wall. Insert a long screw through the wood and into the wall. It will pull the bath strongly to the wall.

For a corner bath just one clamp on each side will be well worth using.

Chris, i can't visualise your proposal: how could i get the long screw in given the tub is now obstructing my view and your 2"x1" is only 7" long?
I'm also a bit hazy as to where the clamps will go when the bath is in position esp. in say a 3 wall recess.
Any chance of a scanned pic?

I hate wobbly baths.... This is also a bit difficult to visualise your scenario as you haven't stated what shape bath into what shape recess ! I recently fitted a new bath into a recess just slightly larger than the bath itself, so that there was a wall at either end of the bath and also down one length. The adjustable feet had 2" of travel on them so I took the mid point 1" and measured from there to the bottom of the rim on the bath. Then at that height from the floor, along the 3 sides of the recess I (carefully with spirit level) fitted a 2" by 3" support rail (overkill maybe but had this to hand so it didn't cost me any extra). Slid the bath onto these supports on 3 sides and then adjusted the feet down to the floor so that equal amount of weight taken by rail and feet. One further point, the rim of the bath curved downwards about 1", so at each end of the length way support fitted to the wall I put a large screw in vertically, leaving less that 1" sticking out. As I slid the bath down the 2 end rails into the recess to meet the length way supporting rail, lifted that length edge of the bath rim up and over the screws and back down onto the rail behind the screws, so that with the bath edge fully against the wall the 2 screws are under the rim preventing the bath from being slid out (maybe by wobbling) without the rim actually being lifted up and over the screws (how cheap a fixing kit is that !). A bit lengthy but hope this helps you visualise my fixing. N.B. not everything has to be a purpose made kit, just need to think things through sometimes and use basic items and get a better result. This cost me nothing over and above materials I already had and this bath ain't going anywhere.

Tom you'll be able to stretch your arm under the bath to reach the wall the other side. With a normal shape/size bath (certainly up to 850 wide)you can get one each end without much effort(in the long side wall) as well as the corner(s) which are easy to reach.
With a corner bath you'd have one end easy and one a bit harder. If the hole's pre drilled all you have to do is get the screw in the hole and use extensions on your cordless screwdriver.

The 7" bit of wood can only go one way up to work so it can't be hard to visualise! Bottom end gets pulled against the wall, top end is inside the downturn so it pulls the downturn to the wall. Screw between the two does the pulling.

Hows about battening the wall to the height of the rim & then using a smidge of silicon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back