Fixing battening to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fix some 3x2" battening to a solid wall (3 inch protruding from the wall). I was planning to use 8x120 frame fixings and reckon that this would give me around 46-50mm in the wall after countersinking. Is this satisfactory? Or should I go as deep as 10x135? Also if the 120 depth is ok would I be better using 10x120 instead? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It really depends on what the wall is made of that you are screwing into, and also what kind of loading will be on the battens .

Not easy to advise, it depends how many fixings you are putting in and what loading you will be putting on them. I think the 10mm x 135.

Sponsored Links
Personally i would fix a sole and head plate and work of that. I'd only use the wall to take out any bounce.

If this is an outside wall that you are going against then i would also recommend that you pin up DPM before you erect your stud wall. This helps to prevent condensation on your timbers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back