Fixing Cistern to Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just had 3 in number WC pans and cisterns fitted in the house.

The walls behind the cisterns are true. The WC pans have been secured to the tiled floors below.

I noted that the cisterns do not sit flush with the wall. They seem to be squint ?

In your experience is this to be expected ? I had a look around at various cisterns in various different houses and found in general that the cisterns were tight to the wall ?

Could mine perhaps have not been installed correctly ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Could mine perhaps have not been installed correctly ?

Sounds like it, if they are closed coupled then the cistern and pan are missaligned. Not uncommon with all this cheap Asian imported crappers :LOL:

I noted that the cisterns do not sit flush with the wall. They seem to be squint ?

Do you mean there is a gap between cistern and wall or they are not level :?:

Hi

The WC and Cistern are from Ideal Standard.

When you take the lid of the top of the cistern, you can see it is not fitted flush with the wall.

Sponsored Links
They should be flush and secured with screws.

The soil pipe is probably preventing the cistern being pushed all the way home :(

If it is a small gap maybe you can pack it out and screw to wall.

If it did'nt stand off the wall slightly then you would'nt get your lid on ;)

Does the cistern move when in use.

Hi

The WC pan is connected to the soil pipe via a standard pan connector.

Could you please explain what you mean when you say that the soil pipe could be the problem as it is connected to the WC pan ?

Could the cistern be misaligned with the WC below ? It does seem to be aligned when you look at it from the side ?

Soil pipe could be a little too long and prevent the whole toilet being pushed back a little.

How big is the gap :?:

The WC has a horizontal outlet and is connected to the soil pipe below via a 90 deg pan connector.

The cistern touches on one side. The gap at the other side is about 3-4mm.

The gap at the other side is about 3-4mm.

Not worth worrying about but ensure the cistern is screwed to the wall.

Do it CAREFULLY and use some rubber packing to cushion it. :D

As has already been said, you're making something out of nothing. I find the cisterns that site exactly square with the pan and the wall are in the minority, whether UK made or crappo imported ones.

The solution to the problem, also as already said, is to pack out whatever gap exists behind the screw hole, so the there are no shear forces on the rear wall of the cistern.

My favourite way to do this is to use, for each screw one (or more, or less) 3/4" tap washer behind the cistern, and a 1/2" delta tap washer inside the cistern with a No 10 brass screw cup. So: brass screw -> screw cup -> delta washer -> cistern wall -> plain washer -> wall. This means that the cistern wall is held securely between rubber 'shock absorbers'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back