fixing fencing to old concrete posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My garden is 20m long, and has old concrete posts spaced around 2m apart. There was an old wire (rusty) fence attached to this, which I now have to replace for something safer.

My plan is to fix 2 batons along the length of the fence, and then attach 1.8m trelliss panels to this, which are guaranteed for 10 years. I am then going to plant along the length of the fence with various climbers.

Can anyone advise how best to fix the batons to the conrete posts (they have wire inside), or point out any flaw in my plan ?

Martin

Sponsored Links
Are the posts the original boundary markers or actual fence posts that have a slot for a fence panel? Do they have holes through - they may have rusty wire blocking up the holes!
How tall are the concrete posts? Are they regularly spaced and firmly fixed?
If they are short with holes for wires you will be able to bolt wooden posts to them (use 12mm threaded bar as it's cheaper than bolts). This will give you a row of wooden posts probably spaced at irregular intervals. You could then add arris rails to the posts and fix the trellis to these.
Or do what I did and forget the rails and make some trellis panels to fit the gaps - this will probably look neater than trellis with rails behind - at least until the plants grow. Tiling lath is available from timber yards quite cheaply although depending on the price you can buy it ready made it is not a lot cheaper.

the posts are boundary markers, but not the kind of posts with slots in.
I *think* they may have holes in them, but will have to check (the house is in France).
They are regularly spaced, to a degree, 4-5cm difference between one gap and the next , but approx 2m. The posts are all around 1.8m high.

I like the idea of bolting through the holes, thanks v much. Sounds much easier than some of the alternatives.

I really would like to try and build my own trellis panels, but I've got a lot of other jobs to do..so might have to make do with pre-made.

thanks again.

The only problem with some concrete posts is that they can taper slightly towards the top meaning that any post bolted to them could lean slightly - you can overcome this in a couple of ways.
1. cut/plane the post to the same profile as the concrete post and bolt up.
2. Pack out the gap between posts to keep vertical.

It is not a huge job to make trellis if you make up a jig - all the horizontals will be the same spacing with only the verticals varying slightly to suit the gaps between posts. A calculator and nail gun are handy too!
Good Luck!

Sponsored Links
I have just re-read your post and as the concrete posts are as tall as the trellis you intend to fit you could possibly forget the wooden posts and attach the arris rails directly to the concrete posts with joist hangers. This would depend on the holes on the posts being roughly in line so you can bolt on 2 joist hangers with one bolt/threaded bar. Obviously drilling the joist hanger as required and possibly cutting off the "hook" part.

ok , all done.

I ended up drilling 2-3 holes through each conrete post and bolting a piece of decking timber to each side (treated for 15 years). The I added 2 rails going along the length of the fence (28m) and used these to screw the trellis panels onto.

I planted along the length, so in 1 year it will be v dificult to see either the conrete posts or the rails. It looks v nice now.

Thanks for the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back