Fixing Joist Hangers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you pros please help, cheers.

My house is 1930's, I need to overboard the ceiling above the stairs, remove wallpaper on wall and then skim the lot. I want to create a platform over the stairs to make the job easier. Rather than using ladders on the stairs I plan on fixing joist hangers and running C16 timber across from the wall next to the stairs and the other end resting on the landing. The gap I need to bridge is 1 metre and length 1.8 metres.

I want to use 4x2 to span across 1 metre at 450mm centres, is this ok?

Whats the best way to fix the hangers to the brick so I can remove them easily afterwards with less damage to the wall? Can I fix to the brick or should I fit timber to the wall first.

Will chipboard 18mm be ok laid over the joists?

This is an evening job so I need to be able to take down the platform each night until the job is finished.

Sponsored Links
sounds a bit overkill to me.

but if i were to fix a temp platform then i would screw fix (4",12's) a batten to the wall (4"x2") then lay some short scaffold boards onto the batten and restrain them with a few short screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back