Fixing plaster board to brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I have a non-cavity brick wall as the end of terrace wall in my house.

The inside plaster was falling away (due to an open chimney which was blocked off downstairs but not capped off on the roof! - I've sinced capped off the chimney, stripped back all the loose plaster and cement to expose the bare brick wall. It's quite uneven and unsightly, and not being a pro, I don't feel up to the task of replastering the whole wall...I'd therefore like to use plasterboard and was wondering if I could attach it directly the brick wall using wooden batons directly screwed to the wall or if I first have to treat/bond/seal the brickwork in any way and/or coat it with cement? (I don't want to use adhesive to attach the plaster board to the wall as the wall is quite uneven and so want to use batons of differing widths which will ultimately give me a straight wall - however, if I need to first cement the wall, I understand this won't be an issue.... (hope all this makes sense!). Also, is it worth using foil backed plasterboard for added insulation as it's an end of terrace non-cavity wall? or will normal plasterboard be ok?

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
if it were my house i would d&d some insulated plasterboards directly to the masonry using board adhesive.

by the way, is the redundant flue vented.

thanks for the reply - I don't really want to use dot and dab as the wall is uneven...but if the principle is the same, I should therefore be able to attach wooden battons directly to the brick wall and then attach the plasterboard to these? (without doing anything to the walls i.e. cement?)

(It is now! - with regards to the redundant flue)

Sponsored Links
www.insulation.kingspan.com/uk/pdf/k17.pdf

.. just to add to this one,link to kingspan insulated plasterboard. This is amazing stuff and really works, I wasn'taware of this whole market on insulated pb until a few yrs back. Highly recommended, in particular if this is not a cavity wall, nows your chance. In particular with GasElectric prices goiing up, you have ideal oppurtunity to fix the problem and save££££.
KS

D&D is clearly suited to uneven walls, but just so you know, you can fix insulated plasterboard direct to the wall with mechanical fixings, without D&D. I had to do this, as I didn't even have the 15mm for the D&D. The key to airtightness then is canned foam around the edges.
This is as per manufacturers recommendations. In my case, Xtratherm. It really is worth it if you can spare an extra 25mm. My U-value will drop from approximately 2.1 to 0.6

You might want to consider tanking as the wall is single skin and prone to damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back