Fixing Plasterboard to Thermalite Chimney Breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have just built a chimney breast from scratch which is finished with thermalite block. Due to the size of the room its quite a high breast (6 metres straight up). I need to finish it now and am looking at lining rather than plastering the blockwork.

Problem is, due to the height, would it be better to batten and fix the plasterboard or would I be ok just dot and dabbing ?

If batten, would I need special plugs ?

I have seen plasterboard just screwed straight onto thermalite with normal plasterboard screws, but this doesn't seem right ?

Thanks

B

Sponsored Links
What do you mean "Due to the weight"?

There would be more weight if you fixed battens and plasterboard..Scratch it float it and skim it..

What do you mean "Due to the weight"?. There would be more weight if you fixed battens and plasterboard.
Weight :confused: Has the OP been edited?

Scratch it float it and skim it..
Anyway, this is what I’d do from choice as well. ;)

6m high, blimey that’s some chimney breast! Is it a feature chimney with just an electric/gas flame effect thingy or a proper chimney with real hot open fire or wood burner in there? If so you need to watch the temperature of the wall in the immediate area of the fire (50 degrees is about the limit) or the surrounding plaster may end up on the floor after a couple of months. If it’s just a feature chimney you could use plaster board but I would dot & dab rather than batten & never just fix direct into block work using plasterboard screws. If it's hot, I would be unhappy using PB as I doubt it will last if high temperatures are invloved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back