Plasterboard on top of thermalite for mounting kitchen units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am soon to do a kitchen design in an extension build. I am slightly concerned about putting plasterboard (dot and dab) onto what is a thermalite block wall. I can physically push a screw into these blocks and am worried that plasterboard won't carry the weight of hanging kitchen units.

Someone has suggested that I might use Fermacel boards instead of plasterboard. Could I dot and dab these onto the thermalite blocks? I'd be grateful for any comments about this please.

Sponsored Links
The blocks have got more chance of holding the units than a thin piece of any type of board to be honest. I have seen plenty of kitchen units hung on thermalite block walls without any problems. Any decent fitter can get a good fixing in those walls so overboard it how you like, the units won't be hung on the board anyway.

be grateful for any comments about this please.

I'm sure I've read somewhere on here that fixing plywood sheets can be useful too under the p/board. They can be screwed into the blocks with plugs, then plasterboard easy screws to plywood. can help carry the load of the wall units.
Someone may need to confirm this as I've not tried personally!

Sponsored Links
I've just thought.........I have an excess of bags of bonding coat. I wonder whether a layer of this would be stronger than plasterboard?

Bonding plaster will NOT make the thermalite blocks any stronger. Kbdiy has said it all. With the correct type/length of fixings/wall plugs etc, properly installed, thermalite blocks will carry the weight of the wall units and more.

As has been mentioned, proper fixings installed correctly will have no problem holding up your cabinets. A continuous line of adhesive behind the pb at the height of your fixings will ensure a solid key.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back