Fixing skirting to wall with gap at bottom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fix some new skirting. There is a 3" high gap at the bottom with no plaster, the plaster being approx 1cm thick. I'll be fitting 4" skirting.

I'll therefore need to pad out this gap somehow.

I have already got some strips of wood in varying thicknesses and I plan to cut small blocks off this to use as padding. I'm not so sure how to fix.

I can either glue the blocks to the wall, and then screw/glue the skirting to the blocks. I realise I will probably need to screw in place temporerily whichever way while the glue dries.

Or I can just drill through the skirting and block, into the wall and screw right through into the wall. I have engineering blue bricks for a damp proof course at this level though and they are very tough. Should I even be drilling into these, and if so do I need a special drill bit or just plenty of patience?

Also, if this wood is touching the bricks do I need to coat it in any damp proof seal so it doesn't rot - we have had some damp in the past.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
kevin_robson said:
Or I can just drill through the skirting and block, into the wall and screw right through into the wall.
You can do it that way, I use square difference thickness plywood for packing out to the right level, you can use timber but it can split when tightening. Also drill through the mortar joint will make life easier
Also, if this wood is touching the bricks do I need to coat it in any damp proof seal so it doesn't rot - we have had some damp in the past.
No need, the skirting boards is above the dpc.

Good idea re the plywood. I've done similar stuff before and it often splits as you say. Is it possible to buy a selection box of stuff for padding, or is it just a case of begging the timber yards for some offcuts?

Finally, is there a recommended distance between screws? Could I choose to use some screws and some bits glued in between, or should they really be all screwed? Will No more nails stick to bricks?

Sponsored Links
The method I like, is to fix wooden battens to the wall, packing them out for level. Preferably fixed with screws into plastic plugs, but you can use gripfill or similar. I have heard you can use gripfill to fix plastic plugs in a poor wall, but haven't tried that yet.

When the battens are securely fixed, it is very easy to use woodscrews to fix the skirtings to them. It does not need to be a big screw. They are also much easier to remove without damaging the plaster of wrenching nails out of the brickwork if this should be necessary in future.

I like the top batten to be at the height of the top of the skirting, and to be flush with the bottom of the plaster (after you have finished bashing it off and refilling).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back