Fixing skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fixing Torus skirting to plasterboard that is fixed to blocks. My plan was to mechanically fix it, countersunk the screws and use wood filler to make good.

A few questions on this please:
- firstly, is it the way to go?
- would it help to dab some glue on the back and use this to hold in place whilst I drill and screw? If yes, what do you recommend for this?
- what distance should there be between the mechanical fixing?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
How long is the length of skirting to be fixed?
For a short piece, say 2 mtr, you can get away with dot n' dab glue. Any longer and i'd look to use a couple of screws to make sure it doesn't slide out of position.

Sponsored Links
In my 1930s brick house all old skirting boards were nailed in place, nails going through the plaster and into the bricks.
What nails do this? How did they do it?

I need to fit some skirting soon. I did screw one bit in a room that just would not stick (wonky walls) but it struck me that this would make it even harder to remove. I have stuck some on with sticky foam, but that is a pain - although simple and effective, if you hold it in place.

Our latest house has 9" skirts throughout. Fitted by me. Every one is foamed on with instastik, apart from a few which have geocel "The works". I haven't mechanically fixed a skirting (apart from a very occasional screw on a non-flat wall) for 10 years.

Our latest house has 9" skirts throughout. Fitted by me. Every one is foamed on with instastik, apart from a few which have geocel "The works". I haven't mechanically fixed a skirting (apart from a very occasional screw on a non-flat wall) for 10 years.
Used foam adhesive on all my 6” skirting , longest was around 6m. Not a single nail or screw .

nails going through the plaster and into the bricks.
Either the bricks were real carp or the nails were actually whacked into wooden wedges jammed into the mortar perps between bricks

i favour the latter as an explanation

Fair enough; but my aversion to that foaming devil's brew remains too strong to advocate using it.
I wish i'd used Victorian tiled skirting in our bathroom and Damn the cost.

Either the bricks were real carp or the nails were actually whacked into wooden wedges jammed into the mortar perps between bricks

i favour the latter as an explanation
No, nails in bricks. I've had to twist meant out.

Cut Clasps is what they used in the "Olden Days". I expect the timber was pilot drilled before whacking the cut clasp into the wall, and I expect the steel plate they were formed from was a higher grade than what is used today and was probably why they broke the brick they were being driven into.

It was about 20 years ago the last time I fixed skirting with cut clasps, the block work was soft enough. Nowadays it's glue and a nail gun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back