Fixing spongy spots on an engineered wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We had an engineered wooden floor installed a while back. It was installed on top of a concrete floor and some thin insulation/underlay. The concrete floor it was installed on wasn't perfectly flat everywhere and as such there a couple of spots that are slightly spongy when stood on (there is plenty of room between the floor and the walls - its definitely the concrete floor flatness). I have seen youtube videos of a fixing technique by boring very small hole and injecting in various products ranging from glue, to epoxy or expanding foam. However i'm not sure i can do this because the floor is on top of insulation layer. Is there any genius diy expert out there who could advise me what i could do!? Has anyone done this in a similar scenario?
Thanks to anyone who has any ideas!!!

Sponsored Links
Had similar problem with concrete floor covered with t&g floorboards which were floating on underlay and had some hollow spots. Drilled thru to concrete and inject foam fixing adhesive, covered problem area with buckets of water to hold down as tight as possible. Was surprised and happy with how well this worked . With engineered floor I would use a plug cutter for holes so it can be made good, but repair won't be invisible.

Thanks for replying Foxhole. I'm more assured hearing someone has actually tried it successfully. Out of curiosity did you use a syringe or similar to inject the foam? Any other tips when it comes to doing it?

Sponsored Links
just to correct foxies plug cutter comments
i think he may mean
use a matching countersink bit and plug cutter set with the plug taken from an off cut or hidden area
but could off course be very wrong o_O

just to correct foxies plug cutter comments
i think he may mean
use a matching countersink bit and plug cutter set with the plug taken from an off cut or hidden area
but could off course be very wrong o_O
Correct.

seams a bit severe to be drilling holes in a brand new floor. Did the installer not advise you that the existing floor needed levelling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back