fixing stone cladding to wall behind a multifuel stove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
built a new extension, fitted a new stove, where it sits in the corner i have put stone cladding/veneer pieces to wall with webber bonding, they have now went boast and coming away from wall, the skimmed wall was well scored before fitting but they came away, i have been told to use expanding metal now against the wall the bond the stone to this, anybody else had this problem or know a solution without chipping off all the skim as the room is now finished and decorated..

ive been told to use expanding metal on wall the apply stone to this?

all info appreciated...

have pics to show anybody that can help, im sure im not the first with this problem

thank guys

Sponsored Links
The skim plaster has blown....that's what as caused your failure....

if the addy has come off the plaster clean then its most likely that the new plaster has dried the addy out too quickly. was it primed properly?

Sponsored Links
if the addy has come off the plaster clean then its most likely that the new plaster has dried the addy out too quickly. was it primed properly?

the walls were skimmed/finished 6 months previous and allowed to dry naturally, didnt prime wall, the shop i bought the stone veneer off seamed to think the weber would do the job but now i know different..

is there a heat protection primer/bonder out there that will stick these to the dam skim lol?

honestly, the heat shouldnt be causing that. if you were at my counter i'd sell you acrylic bonding\primer (2 coats) then normal rapid set cement based adhesive

honestly, the heat shouldnt be causing that. if you were at my counter i'd sell you acrylic bonding\primer (2 coats) then normal rapid set cement based adhesive

how much will this cost? some say the weber because its just a mortar base cement couldnt stick to the wall?

i can email pics so you have better idea if you forward email?

paul

where has the adhesive failed? has it come off the plaster clean but stuck to the tiles, or come off the tiles and been left on the plaster?

the bonding has come clean off the wall and stuck firm to the stone veneer, the skimmed wall is clean, you would swear nothing has been on it!

The skim plaster has blown....that's what as caused your failure....

nope, skim/plaster is perfect..

Gypsum....bonding and finish plaster will only go to 50 degrees cel....

Post up some pics off the area...what spacing do you ave around the stove...300mm ect...?

You would normally use a heat resistant plaster ect to take the heat....

Tap the wall and see if you get the ...hollow sound....

It will need primed as tpt said..twice...and then a flexiable cement based addy(this addy will take heat up to 150 degrees cel...

skim on wall behind the stone work hasnt went boast at all, can you list the name of primer and bonding i need to do the job again as the wall is fine and if i get the stone to stick to the wall it will then protect the skim if fixed with the correct product this time..

thanks again folks

you have been full off knowledge, so, in short, these 2 products used with my stone veneer will sheild the heat from my skim and also create a bond for my stone work to the wall behind my wood burning stove?

sorry for all the questions but hopefully this is the end of my problems lol

no, the bonding agent just makes sure the adhesive sticks to the plaster, the whole lot must be able to stand the heat - it all depends on how close the log burner is

update: i decided to take all the stone cladding off completely, i bought a sheet of fire/cement board and cut it to size and fitted with wallplugs to the wall, i covered a bigger area also to protect the skimmed finished wall even more, i must say its a tidier and much cleaner looking job, im painting it tomorrow to match the exsisting wall so fingers crossed i will have no more trouble!

anybody else done this in the past? if so whats your opinion?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back