Fixing through plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought this house that was previously owned by a (deceased) builder. He built a new garage and converted the old one into an office and shed. I want to convert the ofice into a workshop. It is lined with plasterboard and I'm trying to get a strong fixing onto it. I've probed the plasterboard and the surface is around 50mm from the brick behind, so I initially thought it was a stud wall. I can't find any studs. I tried a metal detector, but that indicates the whole wall is metal (foil?). I tried a stud detector, but that fails too, perhaps because of the metal. I've tried a magnet - nothing. I'm beginning to wonder if there's something like celotex bonded to the brick, with the plasterboard bonded to that. How can I get a secure fixing without crushing the plasterboard and whatever's under it?

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard fixings are only as strong as the board, you're right in thinking about fixing through it to something else.

I'd expect the gap to be much narrower if it was dot and dab, in which case you can drill a wide hole and use something solid to pack off the wall behind, e.g. thick washers or similar. But at 50mm it's likely that you have some sort of frame, it could be metal or wood.

The foil will be confusing the stud finder. Buy a neodynium magnet and slide it around. It will stick to any nails of screws that attach the board to whatever is beneath. Mark them with pencil, you should start to see a pattern emerging showing where the studs are.

Search for fixings for dry lined walls. There are several types available eg Rigifix and Dryline Pro

Sponsored Links
you can also cut a steel pipe into 50mm short spacers (or whatever) and screw to the brick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back