Fixing to drywall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?:
Hello All - my first time ......

Can any expert out there tell me a sensible way to fasten the brackets of my new plasma TV to a dry lined wall without just fastening to the plasterboard ?????

I know about epoxy resin fixings, but these sound a bit messy and permanent for my liking.

Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
PB - locate the timber studs supporting the plasterboard and fix into these.

PB - locate the timber studs supporting the plasterboard and fix into these.

Thanks for the advice, I guess thats the best solution only the studs are in the wrong place (life's like that !)

Cheers PB

Sponsored Links
Cut out a square hole smaller than the tv bracket with 18mm plywood and screw it to the timber studs then nuts/bolts the the bracket to the plywood, may have to fix the bracket onto the plywood first.

it's really easy to find stonger fittings than those.. they suck.. and leave a 14mm hole in the wall if you have to take them out.. or even if you can take them out..

a better solution would be to fix a piece of 18mm ply slightly smaller than the TV to the wall and screw IT to the studs with wood screws, then screw the bracket to the wood.. ( at 16 inch centers you should be able to locate at least 2 studs behind the tv.. )

removing the tv and wood leaves only a few screw holes to fill in and

I'm pleased say we are now into day 2 and the 32" lcd panel is still firmly attached to the plasterboard.

Do you have cushions underneath the tv? :eek:

One day you will hear the Tv crashing down if all you have used is plasterboard fixings! :rolleyes:

I'm pleased say we are now into day 2 and the 32" lcd panel is still firmly attached to the plasterboard.

Do you have cushions underneath the tv? :eek:

One day you will hear the Tv crashing down if all you have used is plasterboard fixings! :rolleyes:

No cushions - just an unforgiving laminate floor :D

Time will tell but if the fixings are rated to take the dynamic loading of kitchen cabinets then a meagre 20 odd kg static lcd panel shouldn't present too much problem.

I personally would not trust them plaster board fixings!! i have fitted a ply behind my pne as suggested above oh and some gripfill :LOL:

Plaster board doesn't give a secure fixing if there is any vibration present.

The vibration of the fixing slowly but relentlessly enlarges its hole until the fixing becomes loose.

The vibration of the fixing slowly but relentlessly enlarges its hole until the fixing becomes loose.

That maybe true of standard fixings which rely on gripping the plasterboard with the thread but these have the additional toggle on the back which spreads the load and clamps the plaster board between the fixing and the bracket.

Unless the gypsum degenerates or a significant force is applied to the TV then a cant see it going anywhere.

Day 4 and it's still up .... at this rate I might even get a week out of those fixings! :cool:

Hang it from the ceiling.

Screw stainless steel eye hooks into the ceiling joists hang it using stainless steel wire from a chandlers.

Secure also eyelets into skirting board and tether it from the bottom to those to stop it swinging about.

To turn the tv either one way or the other use detachable batons to prop the tv the way you want it facing.

Did I tell you that I was related to Heath-Robinson.

That maybe true of standard fixings which rely on gripping the plasterboard with the thread but these have the additional toggle on the back which spreads the load and clamps the plaster board between the fixing and the bracket.

Unless the gypsum degenerates or a significant force is applied to the TV then a cant see it going anywhere.

Day 4 and it's still up .... at this rate I might even get a week out of those fixings! :cool:

Its your TV you were warned :D just keep an eye on it

:D
Hi All

I phoned the company that makes the bracket kit for the screen. They recommended a fixing from a company called Rigifix (check out web site).

Man, its up there to stay now !!!!

Thanks for all the help - PB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back