Fixing wooden fence panels to top of concrete capping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to find a way to fix wooden fence posts to top of a concrete sloping capping on a brick wall. Have been told a metal shoe fixing may crack the concrete cappping. Also it has a slight apex so would have to be chisled out. Capping overhangs wall so only solution so far is metal angle brackets which don't look good. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
how tall is the wall !!
how is it constructed !!
what height panels you planning to attach to the top!!

the chances are the wall wont be strong enough to support a tall fence on top and you will have to sink posts into the ground and make the fence self supporting

if you kick the top off the wall sideways does it give much!!

Sponsored Links
Agree with concern over possible strength of wall.

However, if, and I mean if, the wall is sound enough and you want to go ahead anyway, you could (possibly) either:

1/. Overcome the apex issue by putting a bed of mortar under the metal shoe thing you're on about, or

2/. Drill holes into the brickwork at the hole centres, and sink (using resin) screw rods - thus holding these shoe things by nuts placed wither side of the shoe-plate's base.

Personally, I think I'd be inclined to use timbers on one side of the wall (either concreted into the ground or bolted onto the wall if, and I mean if ;) , it's strong enough) Then put another fillet of timber to "push" the position of the fence outwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back