fixings for external hangers

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I am building a carport, and don't want the fixings to rust. the rafters are going on galvanised joist hangers, which I will paint before fitting.

I know it will have a roof against rain, but it is going to get damp from mist, dew and other condensation.

Would you use galvanised nails in the hangers, or should it be screws? I was thinking screws with a hex head would be easier to drive tightly than slotted or cross-headed, and would have a better bearing on the hangers.

Sponsored Links
We always have at least a complete bag of these left over from every (engineered) joist or truss rafter job we do.

Sponsored Links
I think it has something to do with anti corrosion but you had better get someone to confirm it.

Sheradising and galvanising are both zinc coatings, but different processes. Sheradising is an electro-plating process and gives a thinner coating to dipped galvanising.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back