Fizzy water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have recently noticed that the water from my cold water main sometimes contains a multitude of tiny bubbles. This gives the water a cloudy appearance and if you put your ear to it you can actually hear it fizzing. After roughly ten seconds the bubbles subside and the water then looks and sounds normal :D This happens with water drawn from the kitchen tap, which has passed through the stopcock and a PRV, but nothing else (i.e. not through a boiler or similar). It doesn't seem to cause any real problems, except for an intermittent crackling noise as the water passes through the tap.

I was once told that air is injected into the supply sometimes in order to keep the pressure up during maintainance work. Is this true, or is there some other reason?

Sponsored Links
I believe its carbon dioxide bubbles ? wont do you any harm .

Chances are its just air. Often happens after work on a water main is carried out. The supply has to be shut off in order for the work to be carried out, and then the pipe will drain when its cut open. As the supply is reinstated the air trapped in the pipes has to be vented out, water authority try and release it via hydrants but some remains trapped, and comes out in supplies as you describe.

does your kitchen tap have an aerator on it's outlet?
Some taps are designed to mix air with the water to bulk up the apparent flow, and maybe save a bit of water. The air is soon released once the water is run into a glass etc.

An aerator can give tap water an effervescence in much the manner you describe. It's temporary, but some say it can be pleasing to the eye.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the various replies. My guess is that Hugh probably has it right - there have been a few roadworks round here recently. Council using up its budget before year end...?

Council only repair (if you're lucky...) the roads. Whats underneath is the responsibility of the provider, i.e. water authority, National Grid gas, etc.

The cold weather though does cause minor ground movements, and the old iron mains dont like it, they're too rigid to move and so crack and start leaking.... Hopefully with the gradual replacement of the iron pipes with plastic, this problem will be alleviated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back