Flaking ceiling plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping there is someone that can offer some advice. I've recently had a bathroom fitted and part of the ceiling required replastering. It's been 6 weeks since the plaster was applied and I've started to paint today. After applying the base coat, the plaster has started to flake and fall away. It's about a mm thick where this has happened and the plasterboard is visible. I'm assuming I'll need to sand and start again but I just want to check that this is ok, how to stop it spreading and what I need to do to prevent it happening again.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
First of all try and get the person who plastered it to come back...(before you do anything else)....There may have been some "dust" on the board when he skimmed it....Was it the area he skimmed that has flaked off?

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Yes, it is flaking in the area that was skimmed. It seemed to be around the edges but now it's coming away it seems to be spreading.

I'm with Roy on this one as well. Get the person back who did the job. If has any pride, he'll come back and sort it. Was the plastering part of bathroom contract?? 1mm thick is very thin :confused: Being that thin, the plaster might have dried out before it had a chance to set, than maybe the suction from the paint roller pulled the plaster off,, either way, it sounds shoddy. Being that thin, the plaster might have "dried out" befor it had set. I don't know why some people put plaster on that thin anyway. I put more than 1mm thickness of butter on my sandwiches. :rolleyes: Get him back Helen,, i would.

Sponsored Links
I've started to paint today. After applying the base coat, the plaster has started to flake and fall away. It's about a mm thick where this has happened and the plasterboard is visible. I'm assuming I'll need to sand and start again but I just want to check that this is ok, how to stop it spreading and what I need to do to prevent it happening again.

Agree with the guys - the plasterer should come back.

Aside..... the base coat of paint you put on - was it watered down emulsion for the first coat?

I'm not suggesting this is the reason for the plaster coming off, but neat paint on a roller will probably be more sticky than watered down. If you have used neat paint on first coat, next time you need to start with watered down for first coat only.
otherwise when plasterer reskims for you, you would run the risk of your new paint peeling off.

Of course the trouble now is that the skim has been painted over and any subsequent re-skim will be onto an unsound background :confused: Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it were me doing it, I'd either re-board it or scrape as much of this loose skim coat off as possible and pva/cement slurry it (as it's a bathroom) before skimming again. Or is this complete overkill??

Of course the trouble now is that the skim has been painted over and any subsequent re-skim will be onto an unsound background :confused: Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it were me doing it, I'd either re-board it or scrape as much of this loose skim coat off as possible and pva/cement slurry it (as it's a bathroom) before skimming again. Or is this complete overkill??
scraping the loose skim off would be the best option then reskim

don't disagree with answer - hypothetical question - if you do this and you lose some significant areas of paper backing from the board, do you need Pva on these bits?

don't disagree with answer - hypothetical question - if you do this and you lose some significant areas of paper backing from the board, do you need Pva on these bits?
it sounds to me that the plaster is not sticking to the ceiling anyway, and wont be to much trouble to get off and if any of the plasterboard is damaged you would then pva it

Sorry to sound daft on this, but would pva be wise in the damp conditions of a bathroom ceiling since the moisture in the air would reactivate it? Is the cement/pva slurry stuff that roughcaster has referred to in the past not wiser?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back