Flame Rectification issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to keep Myson Housewarmer 55 Electronic (backboiler/one pipe system) going until we refurb house and switch to combi hopefully in the summer. Been reliable for past four years with regular servicing etc.
1. Problems began with ignition unit sparking on frame. Wafting air with a magazine would eventually get pilot to light and unit to fire. Engineer came and repaired ignition wire (electrical tape) while he sourced parts. Worked for one week then failed again.
2. Engineer came with replacement parts recommended by manufacturer (spark generator and ignition lead/electrode). These did not fit and original parts turned out to be obsolete. It appeared that the electrode had come away from the ignition wire so running repairs again. Worked for 24 hours until stopped working. Pilot now lights but ignition continues ticking till timed out. Unit uses flame rectification so clearly signal is not coming back to say pilot is lit and gas should be released to light main burners.
3. Engineer on holiday so call Insurance Company who call out another engineer. He decides it is probably PCB that has failed. Insurance Company call back in afternoon and say part is obsolete but if I can find and get fitted they will pay.
4. My engineer comes out and can't get boiler started. He removes PCB and I drive down to company in Hertfordshire that refurbishes PCBs. New internals fitted and tested. Chap there points out could still be the lead as ignition spark will jump any gap in ignition wire, but signal back to PCB won't.
5. Engineer comes back to fit PCB. Pilot light still igniting, but unit continues to tick until timed out - same as before. Went to Plumb Centre and bought some own brand HT ignition leads. Engineer strips and connects new lead to electrode and boiler fires perfectly first time.
Hallelujah!
Heating works perfectly on timer for 24 hours then I notice ignition happening (on/off) more often and sequence taking longer and longer each time until eventually it times out again!
Has anybody got any ideas?
I'm hoping it's something simple like the HT ignition leads I bought did not come with heat resistant sleeving on the pilot end like the original - maybe the wire has been damaged. Or perhaps the spark gap is wrong, carbon needs to be cleaned from the electrode or an earthing issue...
My wife also pointed out there was some loud banging and popping noises with the sound of rushing water (air, limescale build up, kettling?) before the boiler began it's lighting/relighting and the extended ignition sequence issues.
This is massively frustrating as if we can't fix this (seemingly minor) issue and with all major parts obsolete we will need to rip out the boiler, rads and pipework to fit a new combi...
Any advice/suggestions from those in the know with this type of boiler would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Jon

Sponsored Links
A very very long shot, but worth checking polarity and earth on electrical supply to the boiler, in case some other work has changed it or earth is broken. Spark inhibition can be a bit touchy sometimes.

Sounds like electrode / pilot jet problem but it seems your engineer has checked that.

Thanks footprints. I really appreciate the advice.
I've been leaving messages for our engineer for the past three days without any response, which makes me worried that he is washing his hands of the problem. Not much help when its snowing outside and you have no heating...

Sponsored Links
Engineer came out Friday. Cleaned and rechecked all connections. Lo and behold boiler fired and appeared to be operating perfectly for several hours. Left heating on while we went out and returned to find it timing itself out again...
Engineer said it was probably an electrical problem such as poor earthing or even movement in the electrode fitting, which seemed a bit loose. They are back out tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back