Flashing LED Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Walking downstairs at home last night, my hall ceiling LED light was flashing. Touched the downstairs metal switch plate and got a small shock. Switched the light on it stayed on. Switched the light off and it would continue to flash.
I checked the switch plate and all wiring was secure including the ground connector.
I removed the bulb and left it overnight.
This morning I replaced the bulb which is now working correctly.
Any thoughts on what caused the flashing and why I was shocked?
Could it have been a build up of static somehow, which may have been triggering the LED? :unsure:
Cheers All

Sponsored Links
I had problems with flashing, which was cured using a load capacitor load-capacitor.jpg but as to getting a shock not a clue.

Touched the downstairs metal switch plate and got a small shock
Hi,

What was the nature of the 'shock'?
Was it a single spark that you felt/heard/saw. Or was it a sustained buzzing/tingling sensation?

If the former, it is most likely a static shock. The voltage required to create a noticeable 'spark' of more than a mm would usually be greater than the usual mains voltage.
If it was the latter, some further investigation may be necessary! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hi,

What was the nature of the 'shock'?
Was it a single spark that you felt/heard/saw. Or was it a sustained buzzing/tingling sensation?

If the former, it is most likely a static shock. The voltage required to create a noticeable 'spark' of more than a mm would usually be greater than the usual mains voltage.
If it was the latter, some further investigation may be necessary! :confused:

There was no spark that I saw, just the feeling of a short sharp shock which instantly caused me to withdraw my finger from the switch. There was no secondary shocks when I removed the switch plate to check the wiring. Must have been a build up of static some how as the LED is no longer flashing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back