flashing lights ????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a problem with my car lights, all lights on the car (headlights, brake, interior etc) start to flicker mainly when the car is idle or below 1500 revs. i have a vauxhall astra estate and was wondering what size battery is needed for a car this size, as the one currently in doesnt look that big its 55ah not sure on the cold cranking amps. Or could this be the alternator, i have checked voltage output and it varies from 11-12v and all earthing looks secure.

Sponsored Links
Alternator problem mate - with the engine running, and lights etc on, you need to see around 14.4v across the battery terminals.
John :)

to be fair it was a while since i did the check, i know it wasnt to low though because i checked another forum to see what reading i should be getting. when i have had to jump start the car using another car with jump leads when both batteries connected together the lights work as normal and are steady could this be my battery. If it does sound like the alternator can this be fixed or would a new alternator be needed. cheers for the info

Your battery could well be old and suffering, but once the engine is running the alternator takes charge.
Motor factors will check the charging voltage and also the battery condition for free. They may also give an opinion as to the wiring condition - i.e rusty earth points and furry battery terminals aren't good!
Usually I just fit an exchange alternator (but take the pulley off first). If its a rare one, they can be reconditioned.
Check out Eurocarparts for a price guide.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Yes probably battery and the alternator needs 1500revs to take over as said above. But funny the battery is able to start the engine when cold? Usually the battery would fail on starting the engine.
If the battery starts the engine ok. You may have a bad connection on the back of the starter or at the large wire on the alternator thats not allowing the battery to run the light properly. Its only when the alternator takes over (1500 revs) that the lights get proper power.

Back