Flat Felt Roof starting to crack.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My flat felt roof has recently started to crack in places.

We have been in this house for 12 years and the roof was then 3 years old. So that give it around 15 years.

What would be the best advice please ?

I can do quite extensive DIY myself but I have my limitations.

Regards

Bob UK

Sponsored Links
i have no idea, but what is actualy cracking?

the building, the ceiling or the felt?

Sorry Breezer.. The felt has started to crack in places. No water is entering through at the moment but I am concerned because water does lie in certain areas.

Regards

Bob UK

Would covering the 'cracks' with Fibre-Glass be a good temporary measure ?

The cracks measure around 6 inches and there are about 5 of them in total.

Regards

BobUK

Sponsored Links
No, don't use fibreglass, normally bitumen tape etc but you may not need it, have a look here

There's plenty difference type of bitumen and mastic roof repairs out there

Masona Many thank's for your comments...

I will certainly check it out.
Regards
Bob UK

just used that on my summer house and workshop roof. Small tip for you....choose a day when it will set. It tends to get on the pet cats paws, and having wiped it all off the oak floor and various bits of furniture, in still trying to get it off his paws 2 days later :rolleyes:

Thermo Many thanks for your input.

A very good point made, we have many resident 'pets' that scurry across our flat roof and would certainly get their manicures in a mess.

Once I cover the 'cracks' would you advise that I cover the whole area with mastic ?

Regards
Bob UK

the aqua seal masona was pointing you too is a gooey messy horrible stuff that is black and goes and gets everywhere. You basically spread it over the roof nice and thickly with a broom you never want to use again. Dependent on the weather it will go off in about 24 hours, however in damp or cold conditions it can take longer. It then forms a waterproof seal over the roof.

Thermo... Many thanks for your input.

You say that ...the aqua seal masona was pointing you too is a gooey messy horrible stuff that is black and goes and gets everywhere....

...which product did you use ??

Regards
Bob UK

Thermo.. Thanks for your input.

I think that I am going through a 'Senior moment' in life and just did not 'take on board' your 'kind warning'

I think that I got slightly mixed up between the use of 'a trowel and a broom'

Life gets tedious..

God bless
Bob UK

Bob UK said:
A very good point made, we have many resident 'pets' that scurry across our flat roof and would certainly get their manicures in a mess.
I don't why, I always assume flat roof have chipping stones on top! Some more products here or here . Like I say, there's plenty products out there!
Once I cover the 'cracks' would you advise that I cover the whole area with mastic?
No harm in doing so unless it doesn't really need it. You maybe better off using mastic tube with the mastic gun if just for cracks damaged. I know Wickes sell Bitumen tube and use a blow lamp to melt it onto the roof.

Ideally flat roof need the chipping stones to prolong the felt life which also protect from sunlight and it break the rain into a fine mist plus it make fire resistance from top.

If you don't have chipping stones then you could use Silver Solar reflective paint so the felt don't get hot to stop the expanding of the cracks, here one of them

Masona.. Many thanks for your input.

They say that its 'each to their trade' very true in many cases because I was pleased to see, when we first moved in, that our flat roof did not have those messy looking stones sitting on it. How wrong I was.

Looking closer at our roof, and your comments Masona, I can see that the roof, sometime in the past, has been coated with 'Silver Solar' reflective paint that has dulled down considerably now.

You have hit the nail on the 'head' as they say.. so I will repair the 'cracks' and give the roof a coat of Silver Solar reflective paint on a 'good drying day' in the near future.

If anyone could add to these comments I would be very appretiative as I am for comments made to help me to this conclusion.

Regards and Merry Christmas to all.

Bob UK :)

Bob UK said:
If anyone could add to these comments I would be very appretiative as I am for comments made to help me to this conclusion.
Generally speaking flat felt roof average life 15 - 20 years although I have seen longer than that.

Best option for long term is a low pitch roof tiles over your flat roof.

Masona ... Many thanks for your input.

Your suggestion of ..Best option for long term is a low pitch roof tiles over your flat roof.

Not being familiar with this 'term' could you describe please what this would involve. Planning permission I would think and drawings. ??

Regards
Bob UK

PS What would the approx cost be ??? Please

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back