Flat roof balcony

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to convert my asphalted flat roof into a family balcony. The flat roof is above a shop and I live on the first floor to the rear of the shop.

I have heard that promenade tiles are used for this purpose. My questions are:

1. Would I need permission from the landlord/freeholder below? Does the council have to be informed?

2. Is it a job for an average but keen diyer?

3. How do I find out if it is safe to lay these tiles on the asphalt roof? The asphalt roof appears to be in a fairly good nick.

4. The finishing of the edges: I am considering laying the tiles to about 30cm away from all four edges, including the drain running along our flat. I would be interested in the ways of finishing the edges and the open drain.

Finally, please advise who sells these tiles or the alternatives to the tiles.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
you should find out if it can take the weight first

I will approach the freeholder seeking, his approval and if available, a copy of the original specifications on the structure of the flat roof support.

Assuming it can take the weight (the weight of the tiles, and an absolute maximum weight of six averagely weighted people, totalling 400kg approx. in an area of 6m x 5m, I need to know where I could buy these materials from in London.

Are there any alternatives to promenade tiles?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back