Flat Roof Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Approx 4 years ago I had my garage converted to a room and had a roofer come in and replace the felt roof with insulated EPDM. We have subsequently had issues with a leak which appears to be where the flat roof meets a partially pitched roof.

The roofer that initially did the work came back and put a Z plate? and a load of black stuff on the wall section to resolve the issue and that seemed to have resolved the issue.

This was about a year ago and I have now noticed further water marks on the ceiling, I called the roofer again but he is now saying that this is not a fault of the epdm installation but is a fault of the failing brickwork on the part of the wall that has the pitched roof and as such is not covered by the warranty given with the flat roof.

My issue with that is he did not advise that the brickwork was potentially a problem during the installation, had he done so I would have had the work done at that point, I am now left with a water damaged ceiling and lord knows what other issues and cost to resolve this.

I enclose a (admitedly rough) diagram of the roof and the work that has been done to this point. Could anyone advise if he is correct in saying his liability ends with the epdm installation and subsequent leaks on the wall that the epdm was run into would not be covered?

This may be naive to a fault but surely a good tradesman would have looked at the state of the brickwork and advised it needed to also be replaced to protect the quality of their roof installation? I am not looking to get work done for free I just want what I thought I had paid for, a roof that doesn't leak!

Lastly could anyone advise how difficult (and costly) it would be to replace the brickwork on the pitched part of the roof?

I will enclose photo's to make it clearer, when I get home later.

Sponsored Links
The brick upstand should of had a ply face fixed to it and the membrane carried up under the monoridge and then the ridge re bedded.

If the roof is failing at the connection of the membrane and the substrate, it is the responsibility of the installer.

I agree with what Xenon has said, we always fit ply or osb to the walls first.
If the brickwork wasn't to good, no amount of contact adhesive would hold it for long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back