Flat roof nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a 1964 house which has a large flat roof extension built by the owner in 1980. I've discovered that the walls of both the house and the extension have no insulation (being resolved) and neither does the flat roof. As a result my neighbours (30m away) complain when ever i do anything in the kitchen such as washing the dishes, even at 2pm! :eek:
If i take down the plaster board from the roof, fit acoustic foam treatment sound proofing tiles to the top of the chipboard roof then fill the gaps between the josts with Cellotex PIR insulation board (100mm) then complete with sound proofing plasterboard hopefully this should resolve the issue.
Question is do i need any ventaliation? i hope not as the kitchen is freezing. Does anyone have any better alternatives than the plan above?
killing the neighbour is not an option :evil:

Sponsored Links
Blimey! How aggressively do you wash up to make that much noise lol

If the roof can take it (and the felt is still in fine fettle), why not insulate over the top and ballast it with paving slabs (upside down roof system)

Neighbours - sure it`s not a Care in the Community home :mrgreen: .

Neighbours - sure it`s not a Care in the Community home
------------------------------------
Quite sure but the neighbour in question belongs in one. Washing the dishes, cooking even boiling the kettle sets the 80 year old off and after 6 months i'm fed up with it. :(

Anything for a quiet life, does anyone else have issues with noise and flat roofs or do i just have a neighbour with the hearing of a dog?

Also still require an answer ventilation in the original post if anyone has any idea?

thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back