Flat roof on dormer condensation!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently in the process of building shed dormers on my bungalow.
I have now run into a snag and wondered if anyone can offer advice/opinons.

Its a flat roof and the drawing says "use celotex xr120 50mm cavity between joists with 1000gauge visqueen.

I did this but when the inspector came out he said there should be vents.
The drawing doesnt show nor mention any venting.

He noticed some condensation and we pulled some back down and there was damp on the underside of the deck in the void.

He checked the drawing and it says its a warm roof construction but according to the inspector the insulation goes above the deck on that type of construction.

The inspector agrees with me that the info is not clear and the drawing appears to be incorrect.
I dried some areas of the underside and fitted some of the insulation tight up against it and taped the edges.When I checked again in this cold weather there was condensation on the bare deck,I took down the bits of insulation I fitted and the roof above was dry.

Is it possible to to do this all over the roof kind of a warm roof in reverse ie working from the top deck down then cover in visqueen

http://www.rooferilkley.com/pdf/Poly_185_-_Warm_Roof_Timber_Joists.pdf

or else it will mean stripping the roof off again.

I know I wont have much of a void underneath for lights etc but Im sure I can work round that.

Ive tried to get hold of the architect and have emailed him explaining the problem but hes not getting in contact.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back