flat roof probs/harling probs advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone I'ma newbie and looking for some sound advice as people i phone seem to be quite conflicting.

My house has half a flat roof and half a pitched slate roof. Where the flat roof is, the harling has come away on the side of the house. Also in the room that the flat roof is on the paint is bubbling on the ceiling and the walls are damp where the harling has come away and right along the ceiling/wall where they join if you know what i mean.

I had a couple of guys come and have a look at it, and one said the roof is needing replaced as it is causing the harling to come away as water is getting in between the wall at the flashing or something, and when its really cold it causes the harling to crack and fail.

Would it be possible for someone to perhaps recommend someone in the falkirk area that is honest and reliable and won't charge the earth? I don't have a lot of money but obviously need to get this fixed as i don't want it getting worse and worse, i have painted damp proof stuff on the walls and painted them but the damp is showing through again, so i know i need to get it fixed asap.

Do roofers fix harling as well or would i need to get two seperate companies to fix the two problems? I had one guy that gave me a reasonable qupte to do all the work, but it fell through as his son was going to buy our house the way it stands but then wanted a reduction on the price and we didn't want to, so the sale fell through and his dad never got back in touch, oh the hassle!

We are looking to sell the house in the spring so want to get it fixed so i can decorate the room properly and obviously don't want the new buyers to have anything to complain about or for anything to show up on the survey.

Apologies for the long and perhaps confusing post, i hope someone can help!

Thanks folks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back