flat roofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, first post here,

right my flat roof needs replacing as is getting close to its use by date.

im also getting lots of damp in my dining room and kitchen, which could possibly be the parapet wall at fault (i'm certain its the parapet to be fair)

any way i'm confused about roofing materials,

i have a total area of roughly 25 square meters,

pictures below of what the roof looks like

http://s92.photobucket.com/user/sx_turbo1/library/Mobile Uploads

i have had 1 company come round and take a look, high-tech roofing http://hightechflatroofing-px.rtrk.co.uk/Gallery/Domestic_Flat_Roof_Projects/

they have qouted 3k to do the job, and will go up and over the parapet wall (providing i remove the soldiers from the top of the wall, which i am happy to do as this is the cause of the damp issue).

they cant turn the roof into a warm roof because of the way the pipes go through the roof mainly the soil pipe, which is a result as it keeps the cost down.

anyway they are going to use protan, which sounds great, but i am worried the local cats in the area who like sitting on our roof, will claw it and it will puncture.

my dad recomends a grp roof, but i am dubious about this as find a lot of bad stuff on the internet. i have everest roofing coming round next weekend to give me a qoute though.

also after needing some work done to the main roof of the house recently and having to deal with the monkeys that say there professionals and recomended by trust a trader etc and then dont show or pretend they know what there doing,

i dont mind paying the price for good work,

i just want a roof thats fit and forget and the insurance backed garuntees some company's offer does seem quite an appealing offer.

what would you guys recomend?

Sponsored Links
Upload your picture to the forum not a private site where there is no access!

£3k sounds expensive but a lot depends on the detailing that needs doing. Is the quote purely for the covering?

Will try and upload pictures again in a bit. Photo bucket seems to be playing up with the links

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

It should be open to public now.

The qoute given is to supply and fit the membrane. Build a box around the soil pipe as the pipe is to close to the roof line for them to do anything with. And bridge the exposed cavity (as I need to remove the soldiers for them to cover the parapet) with marine ply.

I got quoted by a local roofer for an EPDM room for 2600 with no talk of any warranty etc.

You're roof is not too bad, the soldier course can stay, it just needs the waterprofing going to the edge and terminating in a trim. Stones off and an overlay in HT felt with new lead slates and flashing internally. 2k tops.

High Teck ? :LOL:

You're roof is not too bad, the soldier course can stay, it just needs the waterprofing going to the edge and terminating in a trim. Stones off and an overlay in HT felt with new lead slates and flashing internally. 2k tops.

High Teck ? :LOL:

Well the issue I got is that there seems to be no damp course in the parapets. So the bricks have got to come off regardless. this is the main cause of the dampness.

In my kitchen when it rains heavily I have water running down the internal leaf from the ceiling edge.

Also the design of the parapet because there's no overhangs means the water runs down the outer leaf causing bricks to blow and mortar to blow. It seems to have been poorly detailed by the builders that built it and or the architect.

High tech were complementary on the actual build of the current roof mind.

This is all you need to do, DPM underneath then negated.

Capping_zps2178dce6.jpg

Lead pipe slate.

4inchflatleadslate.jpg

This is all you need to do, DPM underneath then negated.

Capping_zps2178dce6.jpg

this is my plan, but was told it would be a neater and easier job with the soldiers removed,

but i am concerned as to what roofing material is best,

how easy is the single ply membrane to tear? could the cats claw through it easy as its nly 1.6mm thick?

i need to go for something that would look easy on the eye, i think standard felt would look awful over the top of the parapet.

You won't see the felt from outside. Only the trim. Single ply has a habit of blowing and slumping on vertical.

You won't see the felt from outside. Only the trim. Single ply has a habit of blowing and slumping on vertical.

Oh I see.

Hmmmmm

Whats your thoughts on GRP roofs? I was looking at top seal been quoted 2.5k for that today.

Or is felt really the best all rounder? If so can you recommend anything?

had another qoute for a flat roof today,

both are for top seal grp roofs,

one was 2500 from essex flat roofing

and the other was 4320 from flat roof solutions

both are gonna replace the boards for osb 18mm options, new flashing and edge trims etc etc.

both were recomended by top seal so i am confused as to why the big difference.

Worth remembering that topseal does not give a full insurance backed guarantee as standard you will be asked to pay extra for that,have you got polyroof locally they offer 20 year insurance backed guarantee for both workmanship and materials

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back