Flat tyre may have damaged axle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Renault Megane II was left on a completely flat tyre for possibly 3 days.
I discovered it today (drove about 50 yards) then took it back home and tried to fit the spare. The car jacked up but the wheel stayed on the ground. When I looked underneath I could see what I guess is the axle and it was at an angle.
I am really worried now. Any advice would be really helpful.
Thanks.
Monnie :(

Sponsored Links
Did you use, the correct jack at the right jacking point? did you jack it high enough?
Did you loosen the wheel nuts / bolts, before jacking up? (you don't want to be straining undoing the nuts while it's on the jack)
lots of cars have that much suspension flex that the wheel will only lift off when the jack is fully extended.

Wotan

Thanks Wotan,
The only thing on your list that I may not have done was to raise the jack to it's maximum, although the reason I stopped was because the gap between the wheel arch and the top of wheel was huge, about 25cms and the wheel was firmly on the ground.
I was concerned that I was going to cause damage if I continued, but if you think it might work........ I will give it a go.
Monnie

Hi Monnie

Just keep on jacking up, to the jacks limit, everything will happen when the jack is fully extended.
As an aside, the car I hope is on level ground?
Don't take any chances, try to get the wheel off, then back on as soon as possible.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's completely level. I will try again and let you know what the outcome is.
Thanks again,
Monnie

Wotan you are a star! I guess it's easy when you know how. The spare is on and I've driven round the block...and it's still on!!!!!!
There is a nail in my tyre but that's not such a big deal.
Thanks again,
Monnie

Back