Flex used in walls?

Sponsored Links
I have some 1.5 mm² flex here with an external sheath diameter of 9.8 mm, and some 2.5 mm² with an external diameter of 9.7 mm!
Hmm...

It is only relevant to those 'in the know'. The OP clearly didn't have any idea as to how the sizes of cables were measured/quoted, so to just give him, without any comment or explanation, a link to a table relating to T+E cables (with solid cores at the sizes we're talking about) quite probably did little other than confuse him more in relation to stranded flexible cables.

In fact, if you look further down that wiki table than the bit you posted, you'll see that I added a column for the approximate diameter for the 'bundle of strands' for stranded cables. Maybe I should do something similar for flexible cables when I have some moments?

Kind Regards, John

I have some 1.5 mm² flex here with an external sheath diameter of 9.8 mm, and some 2.5 mm² with an external diameter of 9.7 mm! Hmm...
Interesting - 9.8mm is awfully fat for 1.5mm² - is that just 'standard PVC flex', or something more fancy?! AFAIAA, 9.6 - 10.2 mm is pretty typical for 2.5mm² flex.

As I said, in the OP's case, the ~50 strands is also a fairly strong pointer to it probably being 2.5mm².

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The OP clearly didn't have any idea as to how the sizes of cables were measured/quoted, so to just give him, without any comment or explanation, a link to a table relating to T+E cables (with solid cores at the sizes we're talking about) quite probably did little other than confuse him more in relation to stranded flexible cables.
It has a table showing what the OD is for something round with a CSA of Xmm². I don't think that is confusing.

I have some 1.5 mm² flex here with an external sheath diameter of 9.8 mm, and some 2.5 mm² with an external diameter of 9.7 mm! Hmm...
Interesting - 9.8mm is awfully fat for 1.5mm² - is that just 'standard PVC flex', or something more fancy?! AFAIAA, 9.6 - 10.2 mm is pretty typical for 2.5mm² flex.

As I said, in the OP's case, the ~50 strands is also a fairly strong pointer to it probably being 2.5mm².

Kind Regards, John
I cheated a bit. The 1.5 is rough service rubber, the 2.5 is butyl. Just goes to show the table is only valid for standard PVC.

I cheated a bit. The 1.5 is rough service rubber, the 2.5 is butyl.
That sounds like cheating quite a lot!
Just goes to show the table is only valid for standard PVC.
The table (much of which was of my doing, I have to confess!) to which BAS linked related to T+E, so had nothing to say about the overall OD of flexes.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back