Flexible filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My newly plastered ceiling (2 months ago) has developed a slight issue. The recess where the panoroof skylights are have regular plastering angle beads around. One has developed a crack along the bead line. Needs filling for sure. Not sure why at this stage it's happened, hoping the rest don't have the same fate. I can only assume the hot weather has caused the bead to expand/contract. My mate who had a professional build with a roof lantern had the same issue.

The bead feels firm in place. Little to no movement. What to fill the crack with? I feel polyfilla or easy fill would do a decent job initially but will crack at some point. What is similar that has some flexibility? Caulk I doubt is a wise option.

Sponsored Links
Did you use metal beads.

Under the roof light and the sun directly on them I can see that expansion and contraction will cause it to crack.

Could try filling it but will prob crack again.

You can get plastic bead that would be less susceptible if your not painted it wouldn't be much for a plasterer to throw these in

Sponsored Links
Yes, metal beads. All painted. Would be a bigger to chop out now to change.

Suppose it's going to have to be caulk in the absence of "flexible easyfill for cracks around rooflights". Just slightly concerned about the paint taking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back