flexible water pipes / sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
guys,

I have previously used solder ring and compression fittings on 15mm/22mm copper pipes. that worked really well and still serves me without trouble.

now I need to get cold main water supply into attic, and the only way to do it is via a hollow wall (metal studs and plasterboard). so I need some kind of flexible pipe I can feed into a long narrow place. since there are only parallel studs, it should be fairly easy. ideally I want to avoid any pipe joints (because they won't be easily accessible), just connections on ends. the total distance is around 6m and I want to make it with one piece of pipe.

so the question is what kind of pipe whould I use. I don't like pushfit, doesn't sound reliable and lasting. is 10mm copper pipe flexible enough for my use? how fragile is it (how easy is it to break it while bending)? alternatively, what kind of plastic pipe and diameter should I use? are plastic pipe compression fittings reliable and lasting? basically, I know nothing about plastic pipes.:cool:

and a slightly different question: the supply is for a washing machine. is 10mm diameter enough?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Use PEX or Polybutylene pipe with compression fittings and the correct inserts.

Use PEX or Polybutylene pipe with compression fittings and the correct inserts.

thanks Charnwood. what would the correct inserts be? I assume they have to be copper or brass, but searching on diy.com and screfix only returns plastic.

Polybutylene is the more flexible of the 2, you can use compression fittings as Charnwood suggests, but as long as you follow the installer guides most pushfit systems are very sound and carry anything up to a 50 year warranty (Hep2o)

One thing to be aware of is any sharp edges on the metal studding, the pipe could be damaged dragging it through or if resting against a metal edge the opening and closing of the solenoid valve on your washing machine could cause the pipe to move and rub against the metal

Sponsored Links
I would be very thankful for any information on using compression fittings with plastic pipe. googling only shows non-UK products. still can't find brass inserts anywhere. is this something not widely used?

I would be very thankful for any information on using compression fittings with plastic pipe. googling only shows non-UK products. still can't find brass inserts anywhere. is this something not widely used?

If you download the Hep2o Installer Guide from the Wavin website there is a section in there as to how to use Compression fittings with Hep2o.

I will post a link later incase you can't find it.

http://content.wavin.com/WAXUK.NSF/...uide2-EN/$FILE/Hep2O_Installer_Guide_0312.pdf

Page 21

that was most useful, thanks SandyLyon.

any opinion on the pipe diameter for the washing machine?

Inserts; whatever the pipe manufacturer supplies.
In the case of Speedfit use their standard inserts, not the superseal ones.
You won't find brass ones, they don't exist.

Use fittings with copper olives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back